September 13, 2012

Is Baby Oil Safe & Chaper Solution to Eye Makeup Remover?

A friend of mine suggested that baby oil is the cheaper way to remove eye makeup.  Hmmm... why didn't I think of that?  It's safe for babies, it's made of mineral oils (which I believe is non-comedogenic), so it shouldn't clog pores... so got me thinking, but decided I was going to research before I slather that all over my eyes....



To cut to the chase, the answer is NO.  Baby oil is made to moisturize and retain moisture on your skin.  It may do a great job of releasing your heavy eye makeup, but it may not be safe to use on your eyes or it may leave residue that can continue to enter your eyes every time you blink. 

Quoted from http://www.dcareaeyecare.com/ (looks to be an optometrist website).  To see the entire post, go here:

If you wear heavier eye makeup, you may need to use a make up removal product. Do not use baby oil or Vaseline. "Light" makeup removal products are better. The key is that AFTER you have used the makeup removal product, wash your face and gently "shampoo" your eyelids with a mild, non-creamy facial soap or cleanser. And, in the morning, wash your face and eyelids again.
I think if you want a safer, cheaper way to remove eye makeup, you can try Baby Shampoo.  According to Dr. Oz:  See the entire post here:

Baby Shampoo for Easy Makeup Removal
There’s no excuse for going to bed with your makeup on. If other makeup removers irritate your  skin or are too expensive, baby shampoo is a good alternative. It contains lauric acid, derived from coconut oil, which is non-toxic, making it safe for eye-makeup removal. Simply pour some baby shampoo onto a cotton ball, tissue or wash towel and wipe away your makeup for a clear complexion.
Personally, I have sensitive eyes, not overly, but enough that my eyes will water up from time to time.  And it was due to the eye makeup remover.  Everytime I try to start fresh from day to night time makeup, I remove all my makeup and my eyes start to water up!  My solution to that was, cleansing waters. I use the Koh Gen Do Cleansing Spa Water.  This only happens, when I try to put on full on makeup twice in one day.  For my daily routine, I always use Clinique Take the Day off Makeup Remover, which is really great at taking off waterproof makeup.  I've tried many of others, but this is my holy grail eye makeup remover!

I researched this quite a bit, to make sure it's safe for me to use, and I've seen "Yes, it's safe and great!", to "No, it's not safe".  I say, when it's not intended for that use, especially your eyes and your face, it's not worth the risk.  Like I wouldn't put body lotion on my face, just because it's lotion.  They are just made differently to suit different needs....

Sometimes it's great to find cheaper alternative to expensive cosmetic/ skincare items.  But I think when it comes to your eyes, it's better to be safe than sorry.  So I'd have to say NO! DO NOT USE BABY OIL! If you are someone who have been using them and are completely fine with it, just becareful and try not to get it to close to your eyes, and make sure you completely cleanse around your eyes with your face wash.  But if you really do want cheaper alternative to eye makeup remover, go with Dr. Oz's recommendation and try Baby Shampoo.

I also hear, Neutrogena's Oil Free Eye Makeup Remover is really good.  Haven't tried it yet... And this is only $8!



Let me know if you tried using baby oil method and your experiences...

No comments:

Post a Comment