May 17, 2012

Review: Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua - Fresh and Hydrating Cream Compact Makeup

In the past, I've tried the Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua Liquid Foundation after hearing rave reviews about it from Youtube Gurus and all over the blog world.  And when I finally got it, I actually found it to be quite dry on my face.  I absolutely hate it when my face is dry.  Dry skin = wrinkly problematic skin!  So I ended up returning that.

However!!!! Last month Chanel released the Vitalumiere Aqua Fresh and Hydrating Cream Compact Foundation in the US ($58).  Since my problem with the liquid version was too dry, I thought the Hydrating Cream Compact would be perfect!  Generally I love Chanel foundations.  So I was pretty excited to try this out.


Description of this compact from Chanel:
This water-based formula blends effortlessly and offers the lightness and radiance of a fluid with the ease and convenience of a compact format. The complexion is immediately hydrated and smoothed, with a look of natural, flawless radiance and a comfortable feel that lasts all day.

In the US, they released 10 shades ranging from 6 shades in the Beige family and 4 shades in the Beige Rose (pinkier undertone).  The range isn't that great.  If you have darker skin, this probably won't work for you. 


I bought Beige 20.  It probably will be a little dark for me during the winter, but I've been getting some sun so my neck is getting darker.  I didn't want my face looking too different from the rest of my body.  (sorry, I took the pictures after I had already used it, that's why it looks dirty cuz the surface is rigid)



The shade against my arm in shade 20 Beige.


The compact pops out.  I haven't seen any refills for this, but I'm guessing that's what they are planning on since they pop out.  Hopefully the refills aren't as expensive! :)


Direction says to apply with dry sponge only.

But I like applying this with my Real Techniques Buffing Brush ($18 for Core Collection - 4 brushes)( I looooooove this brush for buffing foundation... leaves it flawless!)

This super duper soft vegan friendly synthetic buffing brush is heaven for cream and liquid foundation.  I haven't done a comparison to the Shiseido Perfect Foundation Brush yet, but right now this is my favorite brush.  Great great price for awesome awesome quality.  Sorry going off topic... this will have to be another blog post. ^_^


Bottom line, I really like the Vitalumiere Aqua Cream Compact.  I've been looking for a foundation that was hydrating enough without making my face oily or the foundation moving around all over my face.  This compact also gives you a slight healthy glow (which I like).  You can always minimize the glow with powder.  If you are looking for something hydrating with great coverage, this is dreamy.  I think it's an awesome cream compact foundation.  But unless the refills are cheaper, I'd have to think twice about repurchasing this because of the price. 
Some Pros and Cons in my opinion...
Pros:
- very hydrating
- water based formula
- not heavy
- buildable medium to full coverage: tip- You do have to becareful not to cake this on.  Make sure to blend well from center of your face to the outer.  Then build up the coverage if you need.  You don't want to look like you are wearing a mask.  :)
- looks very natural
- lasts all day- I was able to wear this to a lake and kayak and fish for about 6 hours in the sun  and it did not move all over my face or make it oily.  I was seriously quite surprised by the performance of this cream compact.
- very light and easy to blend
- chanel packaging rocks
- does not flash back in flash photography despite the SPF 15
- you can carry it with you easily.

Cons:
- Pricey- it is $58.  It's probably the most expensive foundation I own.  Most of the Chanel liquid foundations don't go above $55 except for Chanel Lift Lumiere Firming and Smoothing ($65).
- Lack of shades- for some reason different shades are relased in different countries depending on the popular shades, demographic of that country.  In the US they only released 10.  Anyone who has ebony, darker skin cannot get the shade they need here in the US.

3 comments: