February 22, 2013

Review: Shiseido Nourishing Mascara Base (Primer)

I have tried just about all the raved about mascara primers and none of them work for me.  They don't work for my straight stubborn asian lashes because they just fall straight and even though they may give me extra length and volume, they just make my lashes straight! Which is a deal breaker for me. Thought I give it last try.  I figured Shiseido is Japanese and it may cater better to asian folks.

This is Shiseido's Nourishing Mascara Base ($24)


Their claim from their website:

Description:

Create unprecedented impact by dramatically intensifying mascara finish. Enhances the volume, length and curl of every lash.
  • DERMATOLOGIST AND OPHTHALMOLOGIST-TESTED.
  • INTENSIFIES VOLUME, LENGTH AND CURL
  • CONDITIONS AND MAKES LASHES MORE SUPPLE
  • PROVIDES ELEGANT GLOSSY FINISH WHEN WORN ALONE
The packaging looks like any other mascara.  When opened, the brush is slightly slim, appears easy to work with, and the product appears to be clear (slightly gray?) gel type and not white like other mascara primer/bases are.  It reminds me of more fluid version of vaseline (but I assure you it's not).



APPLICATION
Applying was easy breezy.  I did not get it all over my eyelids thanks to the slim mascara brush, and it seemed to coat every one of my lashes. In the before after pictures below, I applied the base to both eyes, and paired it with Shiseido Perfect Mascara Defining Volume Mascara.  And it applied well over the mascara base because there was no white base to cover up like the other bases (Dior, Tarte, Lancome, L'Oreal).  Also I've noticed that the mascara glided over my lashes with the base rather well.  As Shiseido claims, this really can be worn alone if you want natural tint to your eyelashes.  If you are thinking you can just use clear mascara for that, umm sure you can, but this base has many more functions and benefits than that.  And HELLO CURL and LIFT in my lashes!  Till this day, I have yet to find a mascara primer/base that will hold the curl!

AFTER MASCARA APPLICATION
The first time I used this, I saw noticeable difference and was utterly shocked that it actually held the curls and kept it way up! Lash gods have answered my prayers! Since then, I have experimented with my favorite mascaras to unfavorable mascaras, and Shiseido Nourishing Mascara Base worked well with every single one of them, even non-waterproof mascaras! (FYI- I ONLY wear waterproof mascaras or my lashes don't stay up or hold its curl.)  But thanks to this mascara base, I can venture out to non-waterproof mascaras!!!! THANK YOU LASH GODS~!  I will also mention that it keeps my lashes really soft and supple as it claims. And it doesn't clump up like some mascara bases do.

BEFORE with only lashes curled


AFTER Shiseido Nourishing Mascara Base (one coat)


AFTER One Coat of Mascara
(You can definitely see more definition and uplifted curls in my inner lashes, which are so hard to get to for me)



MY THOUGHTS
I think you already know that this is Miloberry approved!  And I will tell you that after using it for about a month everyday, my lashes are longer and little bit fuller (it might be that my lashes are just growing) but regardless, my lashes look thousand times better and satisfying with this mascara base. 

It does everything that Shiseido claims it'll do.
Intensifies volume, length and curl - CHECK!
Conditions and makes lashes more supple- CHECK!
Provides elegant glossy finish when worn alone- CHECK!

I can't say that this is the best mascara primer/base out there in the market, because my stubborn lashes just hates the ones that can't hold the curl (which are all of them except this one).  BUT I will say this is the best primer for stubborn straight lashes like mine.  So it is the best one for me. ^____^ 

I will never ever ever live without the Shiseido Nourishing Mascara Base ever ever again.  It is a must have at all times in my makeup collection from now on.  Also this product expires in 24 months, which I doubt it'll last that long for me since I'd be wearing it everyday!

Available for $24 at Macys, Nordstrom, Bloomingdales, Sephora.com (Online Only).

Side note:  That's how you can tell how long make up "should" last.  Look for this symbol with Number and M on it.  Number equals the number of months it'll last from the moment you open the product.


Do you use mascara primer/base?  Do you know of any that keeps the curls?  I'd love to hear your thoughts!

2 comments: