August 30, 2012

UPDATED Review: Urban Decay Naked Skin Foundation

My apologies my readers... I have been using this foundation wrong.  I forgot to shake it and apparently that separated the foundation and I've been applying the non-pigmented portion.  Please see the crossed out part and my updated review... THIS CAN HAPPEN! We must read the instructions!!!  I'm kind of glad, I gave this foundation another chance....

For the last couple of months, I have been trying out all sorts of foundations.  I'm on a mission to find the perfect Summer, Winter and Night Time foundations.... (if you are wondering, how I'm trying out all sorts, I've been going into stores to try them on, or getting samples at Sephora.) So on this journey, Urban Decay released their Naked Skin Foundation ($38).  I quickly went into Sephora and got samples of three different shades.  I used their skin match system which consists of this clear plastic bookmark looking sheet.  You put it onto your skin and the one that disappears is the one that matches you.  Unfortunately, this system did not work.  Half of the shades looked like they disappeared.  So I went with good 'ol fashion way of trying them on.  And also testing it against other foundations that I knew that matched my skin.

Urban Decay also launched a optical blurring brush ($24) along with this foundation.



What it claims:
Urban Decay claims it's weightless and virtually invisible liquid foundation that creates a luminous, demi-matte finish. 
What it does:This formula helps skin achieve a natural, illuminated and bright finish— like the beautiful skin you were born with. Naked Skin is formulated with light-diffusing spheres, transforming you to look professionally retouched. Buildable coverage allows women to customize their look. Available in a meticulously calibrated range of shades, Urban Decay’s precise shade numbering system does poetic justice to both warm tones (ending in “.0”) and cool skin tones (ending in “.5”). The finish is matte, never flat, and luminous, but not shiny.

What it is formulated WITHOUT:
- Parabens
- Sulfates
- Synthetic Fragrances
- Phthalates
- GMOs
- Triclosan

What else you need to know:
This makeup loads skin with a list of nourishing ingredients including: Matrixyl 3000 (a powerful anti-wrinkle peptide), protective and brightening Litchiderm, antioxidant Green Tea and Sodium Hyaluronate for optimal skin hydration and nutrient absorption. Naked Skin is suspended in a sleek, sophisticated pump bottle, allowing more control and less waste of product.



My Thoughts:
(As I always mention, I have combination skin with dry cheeks and slightly oily in the T-zone.  I am in my 30s, so I don't like foundations that will accentuate my fine lines and I need coverage for my sunspots.)
From the sound of this foundation, it sounded heavenly.  I really like light textured, natural looking foundation.  So I thought this would be great for summer and winter. 
The feel of the foundation is pretty liquidy.  But when blended you can see the pigment.  Packaging is beautiful and sleek.
As of the foundation itself, I was not impressed with the staying power.  Even with a primer and powder, this foundation lasted about 4 hours before it started to lift off my skin and started bunching up on my cheeks, and almost completely gone on my nose.  And I was indoors in my AC blasting office the whole time I tested this.   UPDATE: When you apply it, I think it's best to apply with your fingers.  I've tried different foundation and buffing brushes like the one they recommend, and I found that it applied the best with fingers.  I think it better warms up the product and makes it easier to apply.  I was able to build the coverage with this technique and apply 3 layers. @.@  (Make sure you shake the bottle before applying... as this is the reason why my foundation did not stay on the times I applied before doing this updated review.)  After you are done applying, it had a dewy finish for quick second... then it had more of a powdery, demi-matte finish.  I didn't even have to apply powder.  It's been about 4 hours now, and still no shine on my nose, and still pretty semi-matte.  And foundation is still intact.  (what a difference shaking the bottle can make!)  However, because my cheek area seems to be a bit on the dry side, I feel a little pulling on my skin.  So definitely not for those with dry skin. 

With 3 built up layers, the coverage was decent.  I'd say closer to medium coverage, but almost on full coverage side.  It worked great with the Urban Decay 24/7 Concealer Pencil on my dark spots.   

Before I said this is foundation for dry skin, but I have to take that back.  It's actually not for dry skin due to the demi-matte finish.  And foundations tend to get more dry as the day goes by.  It's good for normal to combination oily. 

Coverage is pretty good.

Stay power is pretty good.

I'm about NC30 if I'm matching to my tanned body, and I wore shade number 4, along with Urban Decay 24/7 Concealer Pencil in NSA and it was a perfect match!

I have to take my words back from previously on not recommending this foundation.  I would recommend this foundation for normal to combination oily skin looking for natural but buildable type foundation and not worrying have to powder. 
However, I don't think this is the best foundation EVER, and certainly not exactly on the cheap affordable side.

  Once again, I apologize for applying this wrong and doing a horrible job at reviewing it the first time around.  Hope this updated review helps and perhaps you should give it a shot if this is what you are looking for.

I have to agree, that it is natural, and illuminating and with demi-matte finish at first....  But this is almost sheer to light coverage foundation.  I was also not impressed with the coverage either.  They do have 18 shades available, from light to dark, which is a good range of colors.
I really wanted to like this foundation, because I love Urban Decay.  But by making this virtually invisible, it does not do what it needs to do as a foundation.  You might as well stick with tinted moisturizer or BB Creams.  And the lasting power was the worst part. If it didn't last indoors, I can't imagine what it will do in outdoors.
I cannot recommend this foundation to anyone unless they are looking for something sheer and you have dry skin that will keep this sucker without coming off.  But for $38, you can get something better, and I still don't think it's worth $38.
I have seen good reviews on Sephora and other blogs.  So check them out before making a determination for yourself.

If you are looking for a foundation and have combination skin, and looking for good but natural looking coverage, keep following me.  I'm on a hunt, and I have found few that I've been really impressed with.  More foundation reviews coming soon. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment